Sunday 20 May 2012

Mini Carrot Cupcakes


I decided on carrot cupcakes for this weekends bake and as you can see, my obsession with making all things mini continues! They were my contribution to a family Birthday bash and they went down well. I made a big carrot cake too, but I'll share that with you another time.

These nutty mouthfuls of carroty goodness require a little bit of work, but believe me they are sooo worth it!

Mini Carrot Cupcakes (makes 24)

100g self raising flour
25g plain wholemeal flour
75g caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
30 walnuts, finely chopped
100g carrot, grated
zest of one orange
1 large egg
125ml sunflower oil

Cream Cheese Icing:
75g unsalted butter, softened
75g cream cheese
200g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C or 160°C for fan assisted.
2. Place the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the grated carrot and orange zest and stir until the carrot is coated.
3. Add the egg and sunflower oil and mix until thoroughly until you have a reasonably thick batter (WARNING: your mixture will most likely look like cat sick - don't worry it'll taste great, I promise!).
4. Fill 24 mini cupcake cases to two thirds full and bake on the middle shelf for 12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile make the yummy cream cheese icing: using an electric mixer beat together all the ingredients until smooth.
6. Pipe or spread onto your cooled cupcakes. To decorate you could make little fondant carrots like I did or use whole or chopped walnuts or perhaps some bright sprinkles - you decide!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Suzie! These look absolutely amazing! I agree - things in mini are the best ;D

    Your blog is very lovely, Thanks for the follow :D

    Jen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Expect a lot more mini! x

      Delete
  2. Ooh yum, I shall be pinning these for a later date :-)

    ReplyDelete